Search Women24 for...
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Log in

Notification

Icon
Error

How to cut my grocery bill
MeagyKar
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:13:17 PM(UTC)
MeagyKar

Groups:

HELP!!! Compared to last year this time, I literally walk out of Pick 'n Pay with half the amount of shopping bags. And my bill has not come down. In fact, it's gone UP!

I need tips/recommendations on what to buy (it's got to be healthy, though) and where to shop.

Phillipa
#2 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 11:37:06 AM(UTC)

Groups:

You should stop shopping at pick n pay and be shopping at checkers. You wont believe how much you can save just by doing that.
MeagyKar
#3 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 11:50:01 AM(UTC)
MeagyKar

Groups:

Really, though? I know some of Checkers' stuff is cheaper, but overall, I think (unless it's different these days) PnP's specials caters for big (once-a-month) shopping.
Silk24
#4 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 12:39:04 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Try shoprite, much much cheaper. even checkers their housebrands are cheap and they do cater for bulk once a month shopping.
LuLuBug
#5 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 8:10:08 PM(UTC)

Groups:

I shop EVERY day as I am a baker, and need fresh ingredients (dairy) all the time. The shops are much of a muchness - try and concentrate on "specials" and stock up if your budget allows. Ans do not overlook SPAR, they have fabulous specials and generally products of good quality
LuLuBug
#6 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 8:11:41 PM(UTC)

Groups:

I shop EVERY day as I am a baker, and need fresh ingredients (dairy) all the time. The shops are much of a muchness - try and concentrate on "specials" and stock up if your budget allows. Ans do not overlook SPAR, they have fabulous specials and generally products of good quality
#7 Posted : Monday, March 26, 2012 1:36:46 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Also try and look at "unit" price of certain items. For example a pack of 12 Dettol 175g soaps comes to R8.73 per bar, where as if you buy a pack of 3, it comes to R8.23 per bar of soap, so I would rather buy a few of the 3-packs.

Buy the Sunday newspaper like The Sunday Times the last Sunday of the month (or round about 25th of every month) for the end of month specials for both Checkers Hyper, Pick & Pay Hyper, Game and Makro. Usually Checker Hyper has the best specials, and I go to the closest mall which has a Checkers Hyper, and Game in one mall, usually Menlyn Mall in Pretoria. And if need be, Pick & Pay Hyper is down the road from there.

I don't tend to waste petrol driving to another far away other supermarket chain just to save a few rands.

And if you are really becoming desperate to save money, why not make shopping list with your closest one or two friends, and buy bulk at a wholesalers and split the products, thereby ultimately saving on unit costs.

Oh, by the way, ever watched those American "coupon shopping" shows? (Youtube it!) Amazing how they do it over there; a pity that the coupon thing ain't big in South Africa!

Meyer
#8 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 2:48:24 PM(UTC)

Groups:

One of the best ways is to keep track of every rand you spend - go to www.mobile2budget.com and register for free how to use your mobile phone to track your spending - any type of phone can use it - the costs will be 20 cents if you use USSD - payable to your own service provider and free is you use WAP